The author’s novel “The Feminine Art” was our was our Readers' book club selection for September 2010.
Visit our Readers Book Club main page. Find more information on our September 2010 book selection: the novel, the author and her writings through our Readers Club Archives.
EDUCATION:2004 – 2005: Motion Picture Institute of Michigan
Emphasis: Directing, screenwriting, independent filmmaking
2002 – 2004: Writer’s Digest School for writing novels/memoir
Worked on following manuscripts:
My Brother’s Wife: a young widow finds herself regressing into her restricted girlhood status after her husband dies, and starts to fear there’s no chance for a second romance.
A Mirror of Two Brother: a Palestinian Christian girl falls in love with a Tunisian Muslim and must choose between him and her family and town.
Video Castle, A Memoir: Namou’s memoir, centered around the video store she worked at for 12 years, shares her personal schooling experience.
2000: Prague Summer Seminar, Sponsored by University of New Orleans – studied poetry
1995-1997: Writer’s Digest School for writing
1995-1996: Long Ridge Writer’s School
1990: Wayne State University: Bachelor’s in Speech Communication
Minor: Public Relations
The Un-Ripened Heart (Publication Date: Feb. 2008) a young Iraqi lady’s struggle between her eastern heritage and western lifestyle and her journey towards a sense of belonging.
The Mismatched Braid (Publication Date: Nov. 2006) To escape the military under Saddam’s harsh regime, a young man flees Baghdad after the Gulf War, just before his eighteenth birthday and heads to Greece, where he meets his first love.
The Feminine Art (Publication Date: March 2004) a married woman who distracts herself from boredom by trying to find her nephew a wife.
The Feminine Art – Arabic Edition (Publication Date: 2005)
EXPERIENCE:* Currently working on a feature film, Green Card Wedding
* Feature writer for several local newspapers, including The Chaldean News and Future News USA
* Freelance writer and book reviewer:
Emphasis on articles and essays that focus on cultural, political, and religious issues
* Co-Founder and President of Iraqi Artists Association
Mission: a non-profit organization (501) (C) (3) dedicated to expanding opportunities and exposure for Iraqi artists worldwide, while serving as a unifying center for community information and interaction. Through the arts, we seek to broaden an appreciation for Iraq’s rich history and culture, and thus, foster understanding between the east and the west.
* 2008 – Current: Translator and interpreter for Avant Assessment
* 2007 – 2008: Columnist for The Macomb and the Oakland Observer
* 2007 – 2008: Reporter for the St. Clair Shores Times
* 2004 - 2005: Short film, Green Card Wedding, writer/director
Short film, The Bunny Messiah, writer and editor
Short film, The Dance, as assistant director and script supervisor
* 1994-1995 Math and English tutor at Macomb Community College, Warren, MI
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, READINGS AND WORKSHOPS:* Iraqi Artists Association Writer’s Workshop (sponsored by Poets & Writers)
* Oakland Community College (Poetry Reading & Workshop)
* Iraqi Human Rights Society of America
* Madonna University
* RAWI Conference at the Arab American National Museum
* Troy Public Library
* The Green Party
* Rochester Community College (Workshop)
AWARDS:2006 – Received grant from Ludwig Vogelstein Foundation, Inc.
2004 – Radio & TV Orient named the publication of The Feminine Art as 2004’s best achievement by a Chaldean (Christian Iraqi)
What I Remember about Paris
A Letter Addressed to Me
- Midwife of Fallujah
- Bread and Blood in the Streets of Baghdad
- I am a Mute Iraq, With a Voice
- Operation Iraqi Freedom Enslaved Me
- The Dogs in America Live Better Than Us
- The Wild Adventures of War
ArticlesOperation Iraqi Freedom Enslaved Iraqi Women
The Benefits of Islam – From A Christian’s Perspective
Iraq, Part of Our Heritage – Contrary to Popular Belief
Muslim Women Empowered by Their Religion
The Truth Behind the Veil
INTERVIEWS:Over 60 nationwide radio interviews, some of which can be listened to/viewed by visiting these links:
Interview by Global Politician
Original English Version
Interview with Iraq Hurr (in Arabic)
Interview with Salah Kulato (in Arabic)
Interview with Supreme Master TV (in English)