Dr. Walid M. Abdelnasser is an Egyptian diplomat. He was born in Egypt in
June 1962. He is married with two children and is currently living with
his family in the United States where he is posted as the Deputy Chief of Mission at the Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt in Washington DC.
Abdelnasser has published
a variety of books and has more than 120 studies, articles and book reviews published in Arabic, English and French on subjects related to Middle Eastern and Islamic Affairs, Dialogue among cultures, civilizations and religions, Arab Culture and Literature, International Economic and Political Affairs, International Organizations, International Law, Refugees and South Africa.
1997: " Licence en Droit" (Faculty of Law, Cairo University)
1991: PH.D in Political Science and International Relations (Graduate Institute of International Studies, Geneva University).
1986: Diploma in Diplomatic Studies (Graduate Institute of International Studies)
1985: MA in Political Science (The American University in Cairo)
1984: Diploma in International Studies (Institute for Diplomatic Studies, Cairo)
1984: Diploma in Strategic Studies (Institute for Strategic Studies, Cairo)
1983: BA in Political Science (The American University in Cairo)
Aug. 2002-present Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt in Washington DC.
Jan.2002-July 2002 Chief of Cabinet of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Egypt.
May 2001-Dec.2001 Deputy Chief of Cabinet of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Egypt.
1999- May 2001 Counselor at the Cabinet of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Egypt.
1992-1999 On Secondment from the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the United Nations Compensation Commission (UNCC) as Special Assistant to the Executive Secretary, then Deputy Chief of the Governing Council Secretariat.
1987-1992 Third Secretary, then Second Secretary, at the Permanent Mission of Egypt to the UN and other International Organizations in Geneva.
1986-1987 Attach�, then Third Secretary, at the Cabinet of the First Under-Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Head of the Political Bureau of the President of the Arab Republic of Egypt.
1984-1985 Attach� at the Institute for Diplomatic Studies, at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Egypt.
1983-1984 Teaching Assistant at the American University in Cairo.
As Single Author:
-The Left and Globalization (In Arabic), Cairo: Nahdet Masr publishing house, December 2002
-The Path and Destiny: A New Reading in 23rd July Revolution in Egypt (In Arabic), Cairo: Nahdet Masr publishing house, October 2002.
-Dialogue among Civilizations (In Arabic), Cairo: AlAhram Center for Strategic and Political Studies, July 2002
-The Perspective of Foreign Policy Issues by Islamist Trends in Egypt 1967-1981 In Arabic), Cairo: Al Shuruq publishing house, 2001.
-Iran: Studies on the State and the revolution (In Arabic), Cairo: Al Shuruq publishing house, 1997.
-Mandela and South Africa: Between the past and the present (In Arabic), Cairo: Al Mostaqbal Al Arabi publishing house, 1996.
-Three regional spheres in Iran's Foreign Policy (In Arabic and English), Cairo: Al Ahram Center for Strategic and Political Studies, 1996.
-The GATT and the Third World (In Arabic), Cairo: Al Ahram Al Iqtisadi Books, 1995.
-The Islamic Movement in Egypt: Perception of International Relations 1967 - 1981 (In English), London: Kegan Paul, 1994.
-The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Islamic Movement in Iran
(In Arabic) Cairo: Al Mostaqbal Al Arabi publishing house, 1993.
-Islamic-Japanese Dialogue Among
Civilizations, edited by Fouad Elremehy (In Arabic and English) Almanama (Bahrain): Al-Bahrain Center for Studies and Research, 2003.
-Islam and the West in the Mass Media, edited by Kai Hafez (In English) New Jersey: Hampton Press, 2000.
-Clash of Civilizations or Dialogue of Cultures, edited by Fakhri Labib (In Arabic, English and French) Cairo: The Afro-Asian People's Solidarity Organization, 1997.
- Participated in and presented papers related to Middle Eastern and Islamic Politics, culture and Ideology before conferences organized by the European Association of Middle Eastern Studies, the British Society of Middle Eastern Society, the Swiss Society of the Middle East and Islamic Civilization, the
University of Lausanne and the Institute of European Studies (Switzerland) in the period from 1991 - 1997.
- Participated in and presented a paper entitled ''Dialogue Among Civilizations; Particularity Versus Universality'' in an international workshop organized by the United Nations University in Tokyo on 25 and 26 April 2001 on ''The Role of the Media in Activating Dialogue Among Civilizations''.
- Gave lectures on issues related to modern history of political thought, comparative foreign policy studies, Mediterraneanism, Middle Eastern politics, dialogue of culture and civilizations, Arab culture, International political and economic organizations and the question of refugees at the American University in Cairo, the University of Geneva, the graduate Institute of International studies in Geneva, Al Dewan library in Geneva and the association of friends of Arab culture in Switzerland in the period from 1986-2000.
- Provided a course (12 lectures: 24 hours) at the Institute of the Diplomatic Studies in Cairo in the Academic year 1999 - 2000.
- Gave interviews on issues related to Middle Eastern and Islamic Politics, Culture, Ideology, Literature, Theatre and Cinema, International Organizations, South Africa and Switzerland to the Egyptian TV, MBC
TV in London, BBC radio (Arabic service), Monte Carlo radio (Arabic service), Swiss International radio and "radio Orient" in Paris, in the period from 1992 - 1999.
Membership of Associations:
- The Egyptian Council of Foreign Affairs.
- The Egyptian Association of International Law.
- The Egyptian Association of Political Science.
- The Swiss Society of the Middle East and Islamic Civilization.
- The British Society of Middle Eastern Studies.
- The Middle Eastern Studies Association.
- The European Association of Middle Eastern Studies.
1999 : Member of the Governing Council of the Association of Egyptians abroad.
1994-1999: President of the Association of Egyptian in Switzerland.
1981-1982: Vice-President of the Student Council of the American University in Cairo.
1978-1979: President of the Student Union of St. George Secondary School, Heliopolis, Cairo, and member of the Council of Student Union of Heliopolis district, Cairo.
el-masar wal maseer
Emad Rehim reviews Walid Abdelnasser's The Left and Globalisation
� Arab World Books